Monday, April 16, 2012

The W via SLAM Online

All Star game -- Poland 2006.

  I started my blog in September of 2011. I wasn't sure what would come of it, what exactly I would write about on a weekly basis, or even if I would enjoy it. I was sure of one thing: if all else failed, write about basketball.

  That's how the majority of my time is spent after all. Preparing for the day's practices or workouts, which in turn are preparation for the weekend's games.

  Late in 2011, I was asked by Ben York (a proponent of women's hoops, writer for SLAM Magazine, and now for the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury) to help him ramp up coverage of women's basketball, and bring first hand experiences to the audience. I told him I was game, and looked forward to doing anything I could to help.

  So after a few short months, my efforts as a blogger were already paying off. Not that I necessarily pictured myself becoming a full-time writer. But one door opens another, and so on (not to mention it's always nice to hear compliments for things you put a great deal of effort into). I was excited by the idea of joining up with Ben and a few other veterans of women's basketball to bring light to new experiences and perspectives.

Practice in Luleå -- Sweden 2008-2009.
  It just so happened our forum would be via SLAM Online. I was a loyal SLAM reader growing up. It's a magazine about basketball and its players, for the players. I'm sure fans appreciate it as well, but I always felt it was a magazine for the player especially.

  Given the audience at SLAM Online, I can be more basketball specific and technical than I am here. My role over at The W is to bring the International perspective.

  Lots and lots of Americans come overseas to extend their playing careers, but not many know much about it. So I am happy to be able to relay my experiences to those who are interested.

  I've tried to answer the most basic questions in regards to playing professionally in Europe. They're the questions I get most often when people find out what I do for a living.

  Am I missing anything -- what else do you want to know about? All four of my articles (so far) are listed below; check em out if you missed them the first time around!

MY POSTS at SLAM ONLINE:
Team First vs. 'Get Mine' Mentality
Ins & Outs of Euro-Ball
Euro-Hoops: Expect the Unexpected
FIBA's New (Ridiculous) Uniform Regulations









0 comments:

Post a Comment