Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Holidays are Here!

Berlin w/Cicci & Steph!

  December first. I can hear everyone saying it: "where has all the time gone?" Indeed, this year has flown by at record pace. And now the holidays are upon us.

  For many of us, the holiday season is undoubtedly our favorite time of year. I know it is for me. Yeah, the holidays can be stressful too, but the positives, by far, outweigh the negatives.

  Before I get into what I really want to write about, today is the start of the fourth month I have been blogging! While some days are harder than others to decide on a topic to write on, I've had a great time putting my thoughts to 'paper', and will definitely continue my blogging journey. I still have a lot of things I want to write about, so as long as the 'idea well' hasn't dried up, Sabrina's Crossing will keep going strong! :)
Unter den Linden in Berlin.

  Thanks to everyone who has been a loyal reader, and even more thanks to those of you who have provided me with some feedback. It's always nice to hear that someone enjoyed your writing, or that it made a positive impact on someone else's day. And I'd still love to hear some input on how I can make my blog a better read. Thanks again!

  Now, back to the holiday season! Without a doubt, December is every Euro-hooper's favorite time of the year (outside of playoff time). A countdown, of how many days til you're back home, has most-likely begun (well, maybe it started a while ago, but it's at a more manageable number once December hits!).

  My countdown is at 17 today! It's not as if we aren't enjoying our time in whichever European city we happen to be in, but after three-plus months away, we miss our family and friends! And there's just nothing quite like being home during the holiday season, is there?!? 

Sofie & I last Christmas.
Stella & I a few years back.










  I have been fortunate enough to never have had to spend Christmas away from my family. I have friends that haven't been so lucky, and have spent their Christmas mornings in their quiet apartments in Europe. From a personal stand point, I know that would be very difficult, and I am very thankful that I have gotten home each and every year.

Sadie & I last Christmas.
  Depending on your league's schedule, you could get five days at home (like I did last year in Sweden) or you could get a couple of weeks (like I will this year!). Obviously, when you have so far to travel, the more time you are able to spend at home, the better. But a couple days are always better than none!

  The weeks leading up to Christmas break is always fun too. No matter where I have played, I have always tried to do buy as many presents abroad as I can. I think it's a little more special to bring my family and friends something from whichever region I happen to be in that year. Whether it's a silk tie or wine from Italy, Baltic Amber from Poland, jams and candy from Sweden, BMWs from Germany (ok, maybe not a BMW)...I always try to find special presents to bring back to the US with me.

Kaiser Wilhelm Church & Christmas Market in Berlin.
  I'm not quite sure what I'll bring back from Dunkerque this Christmas, but my friend V suggested I get a few berets for my nieces! ;) I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks, but it's definitely fun 'work', and I am looking forward to it!

  For tomorrow, I'm going to write about another special holiday scene you often see in European cities: Christmas Markets! These are quite a sight to see, and I have loved going to them whenever I've had the chance!

  Make sure you come back for another visit tomorrow, and see what the Christmas Markets are all about!






Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment