Monday, December 12, 2011

Three in a Row

Second half jumper.
 
  One week to go til we break for Christmas, and my team seems determined to end 2011 on a high note. We (DMBC Dunkerque) got our third straight win Saturday night, and the second in a row over a team in the top quarter of the standings. So you can say we're headed in the right direction.

  Saturday against Strasbourg marked the final game of the first half of the season (we play each team twice, and there are 14 teams in the league). Right now, our record stands at 7-6, and at this point in the season I'm feeling much better about my team's prospects than I was just one short month ago. I don't know what changed, but I certainly hope it continues.

  At some point I went from going into each game unsure, to now fully expecting us to win every time we step on the court. I was unsure of what to expect from my team AND from myself game in and game out. Maybe it's just finally growing comfortable in the new league and in my new team. But I can say with 100% confidence that the latter feeling is a much better one.

Second half action.
  Just like last week against Toulouse, our game against Strasbourg was a physical one. I felt like I spent half the game picking myself off the floor. Either I was abnormally uncoordinated, or people were knocking me around a little too much. Whatever it was, I woke up Sunday morning with a sore body.

  Strasbourg had a strong front court. Their bigs were good around the basket, so we were forced to match them on the boards and in the paint. Lucky for us, our strength also lies in the front court, so it was a good match up. We beat them in the battle of the boards, which to me, is always one of the most important aspects of the game.

  We maintained a small lead throughout the game, and won the game by 10. While I never felt completely in control and content with our lead, I also never felt threatened either.

I used to be able to jump higher than this. :/
  For me personally, I wrote last week that my ankle was finally feeling healthy (after 3+ months of playing at less than 100%). Thankfully my back issues cleared up during the week, and I was ready go hard for our game against Strasbourg. I can't tell you what a difference being able to move freely, and how having the confidence in your body gives you an extra boost. 

  Going into the final week before heading home is always a tricky one. You are so excited to get on that plane, and see your friends and family. There are lots of things going on during the week leading up: shopping, packing, Christmas dinners, etc. So it's easy to get distracted, and forget there's still another game to play. It goes without being said that it's important to remember that your job isn't over. Nothing would undo our three straight wins faster than a loss at home this coming Saturday.

  So here's to keeping focused for one more week, and ending 2011 with four straight wins!

  ~ Sabrina

0 comments:

Post a Comment