Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bunkers of Dunkerque

Approaching the bunkers from the beach.
 
  About two weeks ago while out running, I ventured a little further up the beach and came across some old abandoned, graffiti-covered concrete buildings. Knowing *a little* about the history of Dunkerque and World War II, I immediately figured they were military bunkers.

  Since I was out running, I didn't have my camera, and didn't want to stop to explore. So I promised myself I'd go back soon, and find out more about them.

  Fast forward to this past Tuesday afternoon, and I did just that. After our morning practice was over, I grabbed my camera and headed towards Leffrinckoucke (the area just east of Dunkerque where the bunkers were).

One of the four 671 Gun emplacements.
  There's a boardwalk that runs along the beach, but it stops just before you get to the bunkers. So the only way to reach them is either from the beach, or from behind by going though the sand dunes. Since I had first seen them from the beach, I decided to go with what I knew!

  The bunkers are fairly isolated. There was one other person with their dogs out on the beach while I was there, so there was an aura of mystery as I approached the abandoned war buildings (maybe that was just me, but it was kind of eerie!). So I was pretty cautious and careful. I didn't go into any of the buildings (maybe another time when someone else is with me!). I just looked around and took pictures.

  After taking the pictures, I had to find out more about them. Good thing for the internet because as I said before, the area is completely abandoned and there is no information posted anywhere! I did a little searching on the web, and here's what I discovered.
 "These bunkers are the remains of a WW2 Nazi coastal gun battery, known as M.K.B Malo Terminus...The remains of four concrete 671 type gun emplacements lie toppled on the beach, behind which is a large three-story observation post. Various other buildings, including accommodation, shelters and other gun emplacements can also be found. There are also the remains of a 19th Century French fortification with case-mated barracks and tunnels (which have been sealed to prevent access as the site is a bat reserve)."
                                                                                          - Subterranean History

Inside one of the gun emplacements.
   I think it's pretty amazing to be in a place that has the history that Dunkerque does. It's a special thing to think about the events that have happened on the same land you were standing.

  Especially for me, coming from the West Coast. We don't have history like that. Sure, we have the Oregon Trail (but I'm pretty sure most people equate that with playing the computer game in school growing up!).

  So I love getting the opportunity to see the sights, and learn a little bit more about our world's history. It's one of my favorite things to do while in Europe, and I look forward to seeing even more!! Here are some more pictures below! Hope you enjoy!





The observation post above.
Looking outwards from one of the 671 Gun emplacements.
Another look into the 671 Gun emplacement.

Looking into the accommodation area.

Another look at the observation post.

Looking down onto the bunkers from the dunes above.
Looking down onto the bunkers.
Another part of the observation post/accommodation area. This was above the beach.

2 comments:

  1. All the history is one of the things I enjoy about Europe. Visited the Imperial War Museum in London when there was an exhibit of the British riding out bombings in the Tube. Scary exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANOTHER GREAT BLOG AND AMAZING PICTURES. PLEASE THE NEXT YOU RUN AND DECIDE TO GO INSIDE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND BRING FLASHLIGHT 19TH JAN 2012 12:48PM DLG

    ReplyDelete