Friday, October 28, 2011

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed." -- MJ

MJ w/the game winner.

  After two consecutive weeks of less-than-stellar performances on the court, I decided it was time to seek out a little extra motivation.

  Basketball, like any sport (or life, I guess), is like riding a roller coaster. Nothing stays the same for too long. Just as you're starting to get comfortable, something comes along to shake things up and get you back on your toes.

  My team had won two consecutive games, so we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves. And then BAM! Just like that, we're staring at a two game losing streak.

  It's equally important to not get too high with the wins, and not get too low with the losses. Maybe each person is different, but for me it's easier to hold onto the negatives, and forget about the successes you've just had. So in the effort to get my mind back on track, I looked for motivation from the best.

  Some of the best quotes I've seen regarding bouncing back from failure/defeat have come from Michael Jordan. When you think of MJ, you most-certainly don't think of failure. You think champion, competitor, success.


  But undoubtedly there were times in his career where he came up on the short end. Where he missed the game winner, where he didn't play up to par, where his team lost in the playoffs. But one of the things that made him the best ever, was that he always bounced back from those defeats.

"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
                                                                                                            - Michael Jordan

  So if someone like Michael Jordan has had failures similar to yours, there's no reason to get down. He's proof that if you keep working, and learn from your defeats, you can turn things back around in your favor.

  I know that's what I'm going to keep in mind this weekend as I take to the court! Have a great one!





Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment